- My own near-death experience at age six
- Hospice Physician at Hospice at the Texas
Medical Center, Houston, Texas, 1990-1994.
- Advisory Board of Hospice at Mercy Medical
Center in Durango, Colorado, 1994-present.
- Author of Love
is the Link: A Hospice Doctor Shares
Her Experience of Near-Death and Dying,
- National speaker on hospice, end-of-life
issues, and near-death experiences, 1988-present.
Over 170 talks and workshops given to date.
Certifications and Memberships:
- Family Practice Board Certification. 1982-2007.
- Hospice and Palliative Care Board Certification,
- Fellow in American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member of IANDS (International Association
of Near-Death Studies), 1989-present.
- Board member of IANDS 2001-2003.
Examples of topics of lectures and workshops
I have given on NDEs:
- Love is the link: a hospice physician's
experience of near-death and dying.
- NDEs in acute and hospice situations.
- College level class in improvisational theater
on end-of-life experiences, including NDEs.
- Physicians' role in NDEs
- NDEs in the hospice setting.
- NDEs: what a psychologist needs to know
- NDEs and mysticism: gateways to higher consciousness.
- A paradigm shift on the horizon: the role
of NDEs in the 'New Medicine
- Relationships and the Near-Death Experiencer
- The values of NDEs and how they apply to
the business world.
- What's new in NDE research?
- How NDEs are Changing American Values
Examples of past venues for talks and workshops
- Colleges and high schools
- Community groups
- Medical schools
- Hospice organizations and conferences
- Death and dying conferences
- Consciousness conferences (IANDS, IONS,
- Radio interviews
- Television talk shows
- Power Places Tour
Samples of NDE talks:
- May 8, 1996 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
at the American Holistic Medical Association's
annual conference. A ninety-minute workshop
on "NDEs in Acute and Hospice Situations."
- August 9, 1996 in Sausalito, California.
Interview with Michael Toms on "New Dimensions"
for radio and tapes.
- January 28, 1997 at Fort Lewis College in
Durango, Colorado. Taught a class in improvisational
theater on end-of-life experiences, including
- March 5, 1997 at Fort Lewis College in Durango,
Colorado. Taught a class on "The Psychology
of Compassion." "Love is the Link"
was one of the textbooks for the course.
- September 9 and 10, 1997 in Durham, North
Carolina at the Hospice for the Carolinas
annual conference. A workshop on "NDEs
in Hospice Care" and the closing talk
on "Integrating What We've Learned: What
Hospice Patients Have to Teach Us about Living."
- October 31, 1997 in San Antonio, Texas.
Keynote talk on "Physicians' Role in
NDEs" at the annual conference for the
International Association of Near-Death Experiences.
- November 4, 1997 at Southwest Memorial Hospital
in Houston, Texas. Noon conference to medical
staff and family practice residents on "NDEs
and Hospice Care."
- May 15, 1998 in Houston, Texas. Special
address on "NDEs: What a Psychologist
Needs to Know" at "Psychology and
Spirituality" conference organized by
the Houston Psychological Association.
- June 21, 1998 in Boulder, Colorado. "NDEs
in the Acute and Hospice Settings" at
the annual ISSSEEM conference
- July 15, 2000 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
A keynote address on "A Paradigm Shift
on the Horizon: The Role of NDEs in the 'New
Medicine" at the annual IANDS conference.
- May 17, 2002 in New York City, New York.
"Near-Death Experiences: On the Journey
Toward Understanding" at the 3rd International
Congress of Projectiology and Conscientiology.
- January 9, 2003 in Honolulu, Hawaii. "Integrating
Divergent Paradigms" and "Practice
Impact" at the "Healing and the
NDE" conference sponsored by IANDS, the
International Association of Near-Death Studies.
- March 7, 2003 at the University of North
Texas in Denton, Texas. "Children's Near-Death
Experiences: Implications for Parents, Schools,
and Health Care Professionals" and "Nearing-Death
Experiences: The Needs of the Dying"
as part of the daylong conference, "Counseling
Approaches to Child and Adult Near-Death Experiences."
- September 21, 2003 in Cortez, Colorado.
"NDEs: Where Do We Go From Here?"
at Institute of Noetic Science (IONS) meeting.
- October 20, 2004, Crete, Greece. “NDEs
and Hospice: Transforming Western Culture?”
presentation as part of Power Places tour
- September 10, 2005 in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Keynote presentation on “How Near Death
Experiences and Hospice are Changing American
Values: A Personal Perspective” at IANDS
- September 29, 2005 in Durango, Colorado.
“An Insider’s Look at Near Death
Experiences” at Life Long Learning at
Fort Lewis College.
- October 25-28, 2006 in Houston, Texas.
“A Thirty Year Perspective: Medicine’s
Changing Views Toward NDEs” keynote
presentation at the “Near-Death Experiences:
30 Years of Research” conference co-sponsored
by MD Anderson Cancer Center and IANDS. Perspective.
- December 13, 2006 in Durango, Colorado.
“The Practicalities of Near-Death Experiences:
What Health Care Professionals Need to Know”
as a Grand Rounds presentation at Mercy Regional